[Davisgig] Innovation with Internet in Davis, CA

Robert Nickerson rob at omsoft.com
Wed Dec 17 18:29:19 PST 2014

Hi Davisites

WELCOME to the Davis GIG email list.

Well, at some point you have expressed interest in getting  Gigabit
Fiber infrastructure installed in Davis, so I have created this list as
one of the tools we can use to explore this concept, and see if we can
all bring this to fruition.
Attached is a document I wrote up in response to the Fiber Internet
(Request for Expression of Interest) RFEI the City of Davis put out in
May at the same time the Innovation Park RFEI went out.  At the time, I
was trying to convince, a larger Stockton based Phone Company to join me
in putting in a response, so please excuse the somewhat informal tone of
this document, as that was its first incarnation.

Omsoft never put in a response, and I'm not aware of other responses,
and time has passed. Since then, lots of cities seem to be interested in
putting their own networks in, and are committing themselves to
providing this infrastructure to their residents, and from my point of
view our city would be well suited to do the same. The Internet duoopoly
is tightening its hold on things, and net neutrality issues aside,  our
government's ability to protect the privacy, affordability and integrity
of our telecommunications has degraded.

Putting in this network will do many positive things for our City, but
its going to take a major group effort to get this worked out and
approved. I also want to make sure its  all reasonable, do-oable and it
will be a good thing for our community, and so I'm asking you to take a
look at this proto white paper I've  put together  and think critically
on it, and provide feedback.

If you have feedback, this list would be the place  for it, and I think
in time if it passes this first test, we should meet at Sudwerk or
something and work on figuring out next steps.

For now , lets take this as a thought experiment and  go from there.

Here are some links pertinent to this topic

A coalition of Cities doing this
http://nextcenturycities.org/

A way to fund it
http://crowdfiber.com/

If others have more links, please share and discuss. I look forward to
working with you all to get this going in our city.

Best
--
Rob Nickerson

CEO
Om Networks
UCD Class of 96
C: 530-848-3865

If we have helped you in a positive way, please give us a good
recommendation at daviswiki.org <http://daviswiki.org/Omsoft>, and/or
yelp.com <http://www.yelp.com/biz/omsoft-technologies-davis>.
Please like us on Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/omsofttechnologies%22>. and put us in your